Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Has Been Slow in Coming This Year...but Finally Some Signs are Showing

A few signs of Spring are finally showing themselves in my backyard here in New England.  We have had a long, cold, snowy winter and Spring so far has been slow to come with most days still in the 40's and a lot of gray skies and rain.  My Weeping Cherry bloomed today, despite the drizzle and gray skies so I had to grab a picture of it!  The blossoms do not last very long and with more rain predicted for the next few days, I am sure I will not get another chance.  I love the way it looks in front of the old outhouse in my backyard. We use it as a shed, but the old worn seats are still there. The lobster trap has held up through another harsh New England Winter. Soon I will be taking out the old fishing buoys too. There is so much work that needs to be done with the lawn and gardening.  I hope the weather co-operates soon!
















Over the back fence the river is showing signs of Spring!  A Great Blue Heron has been sitting on an old fallen tree each morning and I think she might have a nest there.  I need to wander down and see if I can get a bit closer.  The Canadian geese are pairing up as well as a Mallard duck couple and I can hear them honking as they fly down the river and land behind the house.
















These sweet little blue flowers are carpeting one corner of the backyard.  I am not sure what they are called but they are a sure sign of Spring also!

1 comment:

  1. I think those are some of the most beautiful trees I have ever seen. We can't grow them here in California.

    ReplyDelete